Arvig Internet Service Acceptable Use Policy
1. Illegal Use – You agree not to use the Service for or in the pursuit of illegal purposes. Arvig cooperates with local and federal authorities in investigations into illegal Internet use, and will take both criminal and civil legal action against Users who are determined to be using the Service in an unlawful way. You agree not to directly or indirectly allow a third party to use the Service in an illegal or unsuitable manner.
2. Harassment – You agree not to use the Service for harassment, threats, verbal abuse, and persistent unwanted contact of any kind. Harassment covers any use of the Service to directly or indirectly contact any other user (including users of another Internet service) in an unwanted fashion. Harassment can be active, in forms such as unwanted email, chat messages, or verbal declarations on a public forum, or can be passive in the form of defamatory information posted on web sites.
3. Disruption/Hacking – You agree that You will not use, nor allow others to use, the Services to access the accounts of others or to attempt to penetrate security measures of the Services or access any other person’s computer or computer system, software, or data without their knowledge and consent (“hacking”) or to cause a disruption of service to other on-line users. You agree that You will not use, nor allow others to use, tools designed for compromising network security, such as password guessing programs, cracking tools, packet sniffers or network probing tools.
4. Fraud/False Advertising – You agree not to post or transmit fraudulent information on or through the Service. This can include false advertising, identity theft, or misrepresentation of any kind including phishing, forged email headers or fictitious email addresses.
5. Unsolicited Advertising/Spamming – You agree not to post or transmit any unsolicited material through any active medium such as email, chat, messaging, chain letters, advertisements, jokes, etc. Arvig does not tolerate unsolicited mass emailing (Spamming) of any kind, and the use of any of Arvig Services for this purpose is strictly prohibited. To assist Arvig in preventing Spamming, Arvig may limit the number of recipients allowed per email and/or limit the number of emails You can send over a short period of time. Content falling in this category is defined by the receiving users desire to be contacted in the specified manner, so use good judgment if you are sending to mailing lists. You further agree not to collect or harvest account information without the expressed consent of those from whom you collect the information.
6. Disruptive Content – You agree not to post or transmit any disruptive content. Certain kinds of content broadcast or displayed on the Internet can generate a great deal of disruption and reaction from the Internet community as a whole. This can include, but is not limited to, material that is considered obscene, offensive, or extremely controversial. While Arvig does not actively censor its Users, the reaction this material can generate can be expensive and time consuming, and as such makes the continued support of Users generating this kind of content of questionable business value to Arvig. You understand and agree that Arvig may suspend or terminate your Service should your usage result in significant complaint or constitute disruptive content, as determined by Arvig in its sole discretion, from the Internet community at large.
7. Extended Connections and Multiple Logins – For Dialup services, You agree not to use the Service for extended periods of time or to login to an account more than one time simultaneously. You also agree not to use this Service in a standby or inactive mode. Use of programs intended to keep You online while your computer is unattended is prohibited. This Service is intended for personal, periodic, and active use of the World Wide Web, email, news groups, games and file transfers; You may stay connected so long as You are using the Service for this purpose. Arvig reserves the right to terminate the Service at any time if it determines you are using the Service for extended connections and multiple logins.
8. Use of Servers – Unless you are an Arvig Business Customer, You agree that You will not establish or operate a web server, email server, FTP server, file server or run any other server applications and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service. Interpretation will be at the sole discretion of Arvig.
a. Seek a clarification of Your activity patterns;
c. Require you to upgrade to a higher service;
d. Terminate your Service.
10. Reselling or Reconfiguring the Service – You may not resell the Service or redistribute or reconfigure the Service to allow others to use the Service in an illegal, fraudulent or inappropriate manner. Interpretation will be at the sole discretion of Arvig.
11. Excessive Use of Arvig Outbound SMTP Mail Servers – Arvig may remove email and email accounts that have not been active for 180 days. Arvig does not back up or guarantee delivery of email messages or attachments. Important messages or files should be downloaded and saved. Arvig reserves the right, at its sole discretion to drop, quarantine, delay or halt the delivery of email it deems malicious, harmful or spam. Incoming messages are not limited in size. Outgoing emails are limited to 50Mb.
Use of outbound SMTP servers is restricted to:
(a) 100 recipients per message;
(b) 250 outbound mail messages per hour.
At its sole discretion, Arvig may temporarily suspend or remove email accounts that are believed to be engaged in the distribution of spam.
12. Copyright Infringement – Arvig respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects You to do the same. It is a violation of this Acceptable Use Policy to use the Service to unlawfully transmit or store copyrighted material. If Arvig has a reasonable belief, in its sole judgment, that You have violated this Acceptable Use Policy, Arvig shall take action as follows:
(a) First offense – Arvig attempt to notify You and provide a copy of the complaint, and assist You in removing the infringing material and/or securing Your wireless network;
(b) Subsequent offenses – Arvig will take additional measures as it deems appropriate to enforce its Acceptable Use Policy, including restriction of peer file sharing activities, suspension of service, and termination of service.
These actions are in addition to and not instead of any and all other remedies that we, or others, may have against You under the law. If you believe your work has been copied in any way that constitutes infringement, please provide our Copyright Agent with the following information:
(a) An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
(b) A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
(c) Identification of where the material (including the URL if possible) that you claim is infringing is located;
(d) Your address, telephone number and email address;
(e) A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and
(f) A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Our Copyright Agent for Notice of claims of copyright infringement can be reached:
By mail: Arvig
Manager of Technical Operations
150 Second Street SW
Perham, MN 56573
13. Network Management — Arvig may monitor the usage, bandwidth, transmissions and content of the Service periodically to:
a. comply with any necessary laws, regulations or other governmental requests,
b. operate the Service properly,
c. provide technical support or troubleshoot Service issues, or
d. to protect itself, its network and its customers and subscribers.
14. Reporting Other Abuse –To report other abuse of this Acceptable Use Policy (other than copyright infringement) – please email us at email@example.com.